Published: Monday, 11/20/17 @ 4pm EST
Updated: Thursday, 4/5/18 @ 11am EST
Thinking about going solar but don’t know where to start? The financial benefits of going solar are tremendous in Massachusetts (with a full payback of 4-10 years), but will change in March 2018 - so now really is the time to go solar.
Before you hire a solar installer, you should take these important steps to help find the best match for your needs:
- Create a list and do some research – check reviews, websites, customer testimonials, and company credentials.
- Understand and review each company’s financing options – most installers offer a few different ways to finance solar panels, including taking out a loan, paying cash, leasing or receiving a power purchase agreement (PPA). Be sure to ask questions like:
- Should I own or lease? (ownership carries the most benefits if it’s a fit)
- What are my financing options for ownership?
- Do I qualify for Mass Solar Loan Income-Based Buy Down?
If you’re unsure of which option is best for you, read our blog post discussing the difference between leasing and purchasing your solar system.
- Ask questions and understand your installer’s practice – get an estimate, speak with a solar consultant, schedule a home-visit and ask to see a contract. Some good questions to ask are:
- Does this company do their own installs, or do they use sub-contractors? Who will be doing all the work at my home?
- What type of support staff is available? Who will be helping me through the process when I have questions?
- What type of product am I purchasing? Who is the manufacturer? What are the product warranties?
- Can they guarantee an install timeline that will ensure I am installed in time for the expiring SREC II incentive?
Why Boston Solar
If you keep these steps in mind, it should help your process become a little more seamless. However, if you are still unsure of which direction to lean, Boston Solar is always happy to help. Boston Solar is dedicated to helping customers save money, while improving the environment and supporting our local community. We are locally owned and we do not sub-contract any of our work. Every member of our team is focused on delivering the best experience. Not only does Boston Solar offer the highest quality products and customer service, but we offer the strongest warranty package for workmanship Massachusetts. If you’d like to receive a free estimate for a solar panel installation, fill out the form on this page. You’ll meet with one of our highly-trained solar consultants who can answer all your questions and customize a solar system that's right for you.